Thursday, March 5, 2009

Inaugral Words


Ah, the first of what I hope will be many posts! I have created this space to share with the world, my inheriant love of all things knit, from my simple point of view. Although I should state early, my outlook will often stray from just straight knitting to, well, pretty much whatever happens in my little corner of the world.

Now, while I'm sure little bits of my life will seep onto the page as I go, I'll let you in on one small aspect early. No children, but I do have a dog, Quney. She just turned two.






She actually has just had a massive haircut, which I will get on asap. She is currently away at her new boyfriend's house, Gordon, as I am trying to breed her. So far, no bom-chiky-wawa, but I'll keep you informed.

I should really dedicate a whole blog just to her, the life and times of Quiney. Hmm, will think about that later.


Now like many of you, I found knitting as a child through my mother. I picked it up, on and off through my teenage years. I remember thinking back then, that I simply enjoyed the act of knitting, esp in the cold winter days and nights, in front of the TV. It wasn't until my early twenties that I wanted to make things to actually wear. And by then of course the internet was up and running, and you could find just about anything in patterns on the web.


And that is when I discovered UFO's. I mean sure, I could finish a triangular head-scarf, or a beanie, but suddenly I had bags full of items that never saw the light of day. There was the blue cotton tank top, that has the front and only half a back done. Or the one glove finished to perfection to match the beanie, but missing its partner. I even attempted the knitted bikini. I've met lots of people who have also tried there hand at this, and its always the same thing. The top half is pretty good, but the bottoms. If it doesn't look like a nappy cover, then its the fact that the damn things won't actually stay up. I cringe at the thought if anyone actually attempted to go for a dip in the pool with them. Or worse yet the ocean. They would disintergrate at the first wave,

So after many years of stopping and starting, I finally finished a project. It was a grey vest, with pink and white argyle patterning on the front. And not only did I wear it, but it ended up as part of my costume when I played the part of Serena in "FAME the musical" in an amatuer production in Melbourne.













There have been many projects since then, some disasters, some unfinished, and some turning out exactly how has imagined. No matter though, because everytime I pick up the needles, its a pleasure.
One I hope to share.
lots of love
retro_girl


No comments:

Post a Comment